Driver’s License Reinstatement
If your license has been suspended due to a DUI conviction, your driving privileges are cancelled temporarily or until you meet certain requirements for reinstatement. If your license has been revoked, your right to drive has been taken away indefinitely and you may not be able to request reinstatement for a minimum of one year. Refusal to submit to a Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) test will result in an automatic suspension of your license. If you are cooperative with the BAC test, and your test results reveal an alcohol content of .08 or more, it will result in a 6-12 month suspension. In order to better understand your charges and the appropriate course of action to take, speak with an experienced Chicago criminal lawyer today.
Chicago Driver’s License Reinstatement Process
In the state of Illinois, Driver’s license reinstatement law is very difficult and it the requirements are extensive when seeking reinstatement. If your license has been revoked you must meet certain requirements before attending the Secretary of State Hearing.
- An alcohol and drug evaluation must be completed by a licensed evaluator
- The treatment which was devised from the evaluation must be completed
- Ten hours of Driver Risk Education must have been completed.
- For those who have been categorized as alcohol dependant, proof of abstinence for at least 12 months must be supplied.
- You must have established some type of support group and provide proof to the hearing officer. This can be Alcoholics Anonymous or non-traditional church or family support group.
Meeting these minimum requirements may or may not provide adequate evidence for the hearing that you should be given driving relief or full reinstatement. Your driver’s license may be a very important factor in you and your family’s livelihood. It may not be wise for you to take chances with your future and attend the hearing without representation and planning. Your chances of success in obtaining license reinstatement are far less without the legal experience of a qualified defense lawyer who knows what to fight for in license reinstatement hearings.
Contact an experienced Chicago DUI attorney from the Law Offices of Michael P. Schmiege, if you are seeking a license reinstatement and need fast action.